The Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER) is a medical school in India. It is located at Pondicherry, the capital of the union territory of Puducherry, in southern India. JIPMER is an Indian central government funded institute with autonomy to run its internal administration. JIPMER is both an educational institute that imparts undergraduate and postgraduate medical training and a working hospital that provides inexpensive medical care to a large number of patients. JIPMER is an institute of national importance and a tertiary care referral hospital that is under the direct administrative control of Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS), Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. Lecture halls building JIPMER is a residential medical institution with its own campus spread over 195 acres (0.79 km2). It has about 200 faculty and 360 resident physicians and over 3,000 nursing, administrative and support staff. Every year it admits 150 undergraduate students and 200 postgraduate students. JIPMER has started the work of its second superspeciality block (SSB-II), JIPMER International School of Public-health. JIPMER is partnering with other institutions, including Harvard School of Public Health, to exchange faculty, educational tools, research and data on public health. JIPMER's tie-up with the Harvard School of Public Health is part of the larger MoU between the American medical school and the Indian ministry of health and family welfare. JIPMER originated as École de Médicine de Pondichérry established by the French imperial government in India in the year 1823 to train French citizens in Pondichéry. It was one of the earliest institutions of tropical medicine and the teaching staff consisted of surgeons and doctors of the French navy and troupes colones. Students who were trained here were granted a diploma called Médicin Locale that allowed them to practice medicine in the colonial territories. Under the French, the college was located in the heart of the town of Pondicherry in the modified buildings of the high court, opposite Le place de Gaulle, which is now the Legislative Assembly Hall. In 1959, SE Le Comte Stanislas Ostrorog, Ambassadeur de France aux Indes, laid the foundation stone of the new medical college building that was located on the outskirts of the town and, in 1964, the college moved to its new campus at Gorimedu. With the de jure transfer of Puducherry to India in 1956, the Government of India took over the college and renamed it simply Medical College, Pondicherry. For a short period, it was called the Dhanvantri Medical College and, on 13 July 1964, after Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru's death on 27 May 1964, it was again renamed to "Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research" (JIPMER) (on 13 July 1964). Today, the institution is universally known by the acronym JIPMER. In 2008, JIPMER was declared as an Institution of National Importance by an act of Indian Parliament. In 2014, JIPMER started jipmer international school for public health (JISPH).